Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Life Expectancy After Gall Bladder Removal?

Does your life expectancy go down after your gall bladde is removed? Can you still live a long and normal life? I have always found it strange we can live without certain internal organs.

Thanks

I could not say if life expectancy goes down but what i can say is i have had the op myself
    and i've had no problem's, i have not needed to change how i eat or anything but thats me
    i would say if i didn't have the op i don't think i would have lived to 40, so for me its increased my life. at one stage my liver just about packed in because of one stone that moved from my gallbladder and blocked the tubes so acid built up inside my liver im lucky i didn't die when that happened.

Thanks

Depends on the person and your lifestyle afterwards.

Yes? No?

Digestive issues can bring about a ton of health issues if not careful.

Thanks

I think Stace is correct in saying it depends on the lifestyle. If your gallbladder is a chronic issue, it may actually shorten your life. I'm not 100% positive, but I highly doubt that taking your gallbladder out will shorten your life in itself, but if you have it taken out, then proceed to maintain a horrible diet, it may cause digestive issues. Stace is correct.

Thanks

I think it all depends on the lifestyle for sure...

Clearly we are talking lifestyle issues here. Even on a show like the Biggest Loser most of those people eat better, exercise and come off their meds and easily beat their type 2 diabetes.

Clearly the foods we eat, the chemicals and junk are affecting us, to ignore it to me means we just live the stuff too much to give it up. And why not the addictive things in the food like MSG don't make things easy on us.

Thanks

The only thing I can think of that might hurt life expectancy is digestion issues related to being absent a gallbladder. Acid reflux can lead to throat cancer, and poor digestion can cause damage to your intestines. A person has to be extremely careful without a gallbladder.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stace View Post
    Depends on the person and your lifestyle afterwards.

Yes? No?

Digestive issues can bring about a ton of health issues if not careful.
    I agree with Stace, it all probably depends on which lifestyle choices you make after surgery. If you comply with the nutrition tips appropriate for after surgery care, then I think your life expectancy should increase!

However, if someone keeps taking in foods and other products that made them ill before, I suspect they'd feel even worse after having the surgery. It's all about making the right choices!

Thanks

I guess it depends on your lifestyle before and after the surgery, but the defining factor here would be your lifestyle AFTER the surgery. I think this surgery can actually add some years to your life if you decide to adopt a healthy lifestyle after the surgery, that's the defining factor (in my opinion).

This surgery means you must be more careful with what you eat... or else you are going to suffer the consequences. I think it's all about taking the responsability for your own health. If you do that, I'm sure you can live as long as those who still have an intact gallbladder.

Thanks

I already eat healthy and I have a bad gallbladder. I'm skinny and healthy. What about ALCOHOL?! I cannot find any damn answers on the internet. Does no one party?!!! Can we still get drunk after surgery or what?!

Thanks

Well, I'll tell you a bit about my own experience... to be honest I don't know if this is just a coincidence or it's happening because I no longer have a gallbladder, but ever since the surgery I noticed I can no longer handle alcohol the same way. The last time I tried I ended up having a hangover a few hours after drinking. Ever since that happened I no longer feel like drinking. It seems my body can no longer stand alcohol the same way it did before... the feeling was so bad and unpleasant I never EVER want to drink alcohol again.