Digestion Boards | IBS, Reflux, Gallbladder Discussions Medication for IBS
    Thanks

Default Medication for IBS

My friend who has IBS was given several new medications to take. I am not quite sure what they are. She was taking so many medications before being diagnosed with IBS I have no idea what the doctor gave her.

Do you take medication for your IBS or do you just try to avoid foods that give you problems?
    My friend has a horrible diet. She loves poptarts and practically lives on them. She has to have lots of coffee all day long, soda and sweets are a constant in her life. I rarely see her eat anything actually healthy. I know for a fact she is not changing her diet.

I have tried to give her some advice but she is really not interested.

2. Remove Advertisements
    DigeestionBoards.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

I do like eating poptarts most of the time. I think that the sweets are good but not good if you are trying to stay off of them. I don't take any meds for irritable bowel syndrome.

Thanks

I don't take any meds except ranitidine, which the doctor gave me for all-around stomach pain. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I am just trying to eliminate certain foods from my diet, like sugars and some carbs. I hate the thought of being "doomed" to medication for every problem I have.

5. Remove Advertisements
    DigestionBoards.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

No, I don't take any meds for IBS. I find that controlling my diet, or at least being aware of trigger foods and situations, is enough to keep it under control. The thing with meds is that, like any other condition, the patient must be willing to overcome the disease. The meds aren't a magic pill that, once taken, will cure all symptoms. If she continues to eat unhealthy foods and drink coffee, assuming these foods are triggers (and for most, they are), I fear that she won't find much benefit to the medicines. One must want to be healthy first, you know? I don't know your friend, and the last thing I'm trying to do is be critical. I know first hand how difficult it can be to give up the things you love to eat. I would live off Chinese food and soda if I could. But ultimately I'd rather not be in paid than eat some sesame chicken lol. You are a great friend for wanting to give her your advice, but like I said, someone has to want to change first. The whole "lead a horse to water" thing. I'm sure her doctor has been giving her advice as well. At the end of the day all you can do is be supportive of her, which it sounds like you are, and let her make the final decision.

One thing I have found helpful is cooking my own foods more instead of eating out. I found amazing recipes for coconut rice and Indian takeout style chicken, copycat Chipotle carnitas, etc. Foods that otherwise would be unhealthy (and expensive!) I can make "cleaner" and healthier by cooking myself. I know for a fact I have seen homemade Poptart recipes on Pinterest using real jam and fruit. As far as coffee, they do make a "digestion blend" that I believe has lower caffeine and is supposed to be less of a stimulant than traditional coffee. Perhaps she can try these things, even if just for a week. She may find that she enjoys how healthy she feels in comparison and will keep the healthy changes.

Anyway, sorry for the novel! Just wanted to share some insight.

Regards,
    Michelle

Thanks

I take Alverine, twice daily, just to make sure the best is under control. Some days it works well some days not so much, but I have noticed the days it doesn't work are the days I eat something irritating, like for example chili. My colon is moe sensitive to that now than ever before. Hate taking those meds, but no choice really.

Thanks

I actually found that my worse diet is better for me than when I altered it, I found an article about someone else the same online a while back but fried and sweet foods do not cause me problems, give me bran or even apples and I get pain. Seems Fibre causes me pain. I do try and put up with a little as it's important but I have noticed when I have been away for a few nights and lived cheaply off take aways or chips I have had no cramping or problems at all.

I have another friend whom is the same but one who can not touch fried foods at all. It's so odd how we all have such different triggers.

Meds wise I only take buscopan for the pain and a little milk of magnesia as needed if I get constipated. I find that is the fastest and least painful for me, tried lots via my Gastro but milk of magnesia works best.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shellyann36 View Post
    My friend who has IBS was given several new medications to take. I am not quite sure what they are. She was taking so many medications before being diagnosed with IBS I have no idea what the doctor gave her.

Do you take medication for your IBS or do you just try to avoid foods that give you problems?
    My friend has a horrible diet. She loves poptarts and practically lives on them. She has to have lots of coffee all day long, soda and sweets are a constant in her life. I rarely see her eat anything actually healthy. I know for a fact she is not changing her diet.

I have tried to give her some advice but she is really not interested.
    I've just read the list of ingredients in Pop Tarts, and to be honest, I wouldn't touch the things. It's these types of foods that are responsible for most of the common digestive issues we are seeing today - sugar, refined carbs, and things with names I can't pronounce.

I cut all processed foods and sugars when my symptoms got so bad; I take in more probiotic foods like yogurt and kefir, and I limit coffee (I love my coffee!) to just one cup a day now. At first I thought I would be miserable, but to feel better and be more energetic, and with pain and cramping at a minimum, it was well worth it.

I am by no means cured of all of my digestive issues, but I am a lot better than I was, and I believe I'll continue to get better too. I also refused any medication because I wanted to get better on my own, and not be on drugs.

All you can do is try to keep getting through to your friend - even if you could encourage her to make her own pop tarts, or something at home. At least she wouldn't be taking in so much rubbish every day.

Thanks

I take buscopan but they are not very good to be honest, I would try to stay away from trigger foods but that would leave me with nothing! I am going to try colpermin next to see if they are any cop, they are just peppermint oil so that would be nice as it is natural.

Thanks

Nice thread. Very helpful!