Digestion Boards | IBS, Reflux, Gallbladder Discussions Kids, School and Food Allergies
    Thanks

Default Kids, School and Food Allergies

Lil Keith is starting school on Tuesday. We met with his teachers last night and got acquainted with some of the other kids in the class room and his bus driver. We asked about school lunches and lactose intolerance. Lil Keith is lactose intolerant. We had to get a form from the office to be filled out by his doctor concerning his lactose intolerance. So Monday he has an appointment to get his flu shot and get the form filled out.

Does anyone have kids in school that have food allergies? If so, do you feel the school does a good job of keeping kids with food allergies safe?

2. Remove Advertisements
    DigeestionBoards.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

I don't have any kids with food allergies, but being a former kid with allergies I can say that my school didn't do so well. Of course things seem to have change a lot in the last decade or so. But if my kid had a really serious food allergy I'd not feel safe at all... I know kids with severe peanuts allergies, the parents are always on high alert.

Thanks

Many places and not only schools are more aware of food allergies and intolerances and know how to deal with them. It's also about educating the child, because they need to know what they should and should not eat, because sometimes they will have to tell someone and as an adult they will need to be responsible for their choices.

5. Remove Advertisements
    DigestionBoards.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Sad to say that most school lunches in the USA is provided by the USDA and it has preservatives and most likely GMO components to it. Eating school lunches is actually contributing to the problem and makeing matters worse across the board health wise. Best to just let your kid pack his own lunch so they know exactly what they are eating. Everything that we eat from the grocery store is about 90% GMO compromised in some way or form.

Thanks

Depends on the school. I know the ones in my area are very good with it. To the point parents are always complaining that their children's taste buds are more important than the lives of those their food is a danger to. But I do know in other areas, children aren't so lucky. I guess no matter what, the most important step is super-educating the child on their allergy and the precautions they need to take. When something like this happens to our bodies, we are our own biggest defenders and advocates and need to learn early on how to keep ourselves safe day to day and not rely so much on others to do so. There's just so much we can expect from other people. Many will be very considerate and careful, while others can be the opposite.